top of page
Search
  • keywestelectrical

The Importance of Electrical Safety in Your Home


electrical safety at home

The Importance of Electrical Safety in Your Queensland Home


While public places such as schools may have electrical safety information posted in areas that everyone can see, electrical safety at home is something that must be taught at a young age. Electrical safety tips are a great way of creating a base knowledge of how to behave around electrical appliances and what to do in the case of electrical issues or failures. In this article, Key West Electrical discusses the importance of electrical safety in the home and explores some of the main tips that all Queensland homeowners and members of a household should know.


Electrical Hazard Prevention


There are different hazards associated with electrical safety at home, which can range from being slightly dangerous to potentially deadly. When dealing with anything electronic, it is important that you take great care in how you prepare for the task at hand, and how you carry it out. When dealing with a tripped switch on the main circuit board, for example, you should always ensure you are wearing the correct clothing and footwear; you should preferably also use a rubber implement when touching the switch to reduce the risk of injury even further.


Don't Overload Outlets


One of the best electrical safety tips is to avoid overloading your power outlets. They are designed to deliver a specified amount of energy and although there may be enough inputs for multiple devices, there may not be enough power to run them all. Overloading a power outlet, in the most serious of cases, may lead to a small explosion, which in turn can lead to house fires.


Unplug Unused Appliances


This is an electrical safety tip in the home that can easily be forgotten. Not only does it reduce the risks of electrical problems, but it also saves power and in turn reduces electricity bills. If you are not using devices such as laptops, TVs or kitchen appliances, simply switch them off at the wall.


Keep Electrical Wires and Outlets Away from Water


Water is a great conductor of electricity, which means it can create sparks and fires if exposed to open electrical wires or outlets. It can also cause serious damage to electrical appliances and the overall wiring of the home. If any electrical appliance is found to have come into contact with water, check with your local electrician to determine if it is safe to use.


Repair or Replace Damaged Wiring


Electricity safety rules are all about reducing the risk of damage and injury. One of the easiest ways to electrocute or hurt yourself is having damaged wires and outlets in your home, especially if they are actively in use. Make sure you get them fixed or repaired as soon as possible. If you are unable to do it yourself, call in a professional to deal with the issue.

The knowledge of electrical safety in the home is an essential tool for everyday life in order to keep yourself and others around you safe. To learn more electrical safety tips, get in touch with our trusted team today.

12 views0 comments

Commentaires


bottom of page